What is elderberry extract?
Elderberry is a dark purple berry that comes from the European elder tree. The berries are tart in flavor and need to be cooked to be eaten, which is why most products that tout the ingredient are in the form of syrups, extracts, gummies or tablets. Elderberry has been used in traditional medicines throughout history, most notably for its properties to help with cold and flu symptoms, says Feller.
Elderberry extract (Sambucus) is a deciduous shrub belonging to the family Lonicerae. The fruit is rich in anthocyanins, flavonoids (such as quercetin, rutin) and polyphenols. There are many varieties of elderberry, the most common is Western black elderwood (Sambucusnigra L.), including leaves, bark, flowers and berries, all of which have medicinal value. Among them, elderberry is the object of research.
Black elderberry extract (blackelderberry) is one of the best herbs to fight the flu virus. It has a history of more than 2500 years. It is used to treat colds, coughs and colds. A 400-year-old Greek doctor and the father of medicine: Hippocrates once named elderberry as a natural medicine box, meaning the greatest healing plant in nature. Before the invention of antibiotics, elderberry was one of the commonly used ingredients in the medical profession at that time.
The berries and flowers of elderberry are packed with antioxidants and vitamins that may boost your immune system. They could help tame inflammation, lessen stress, and help protect your heart, too. Some experts recommend elderberry to help prevent and ease cold and flu symptoms.
Elderberry Extract Benefits
1. Elderberry is beneficial to upper respiratory tract symptoms (cold and flu): Upper respiratory tract infection can be defined as self-limiting irritation and swelling in the upper respiratory tract (nasal, sinus, pharynx, larynx and large airway), in the common cold The most common main symptoms of influenza are cough, sore throat, runny nose, malaise, nasal congestion, headache, fever, common pathogenic factors are viral infections, such as: rhinovirus, influenza virus, adenovirus, enterovirus and respiratory syncytial virus.
Conclusion: Standard elderberry extract can help reduce the duration and severity of symptoms when upper respiratory symptoms appear, but due to the limited number of samples, further studies are needed to confirm.
2. Elderberry is beneficial to knee osteoarthritis: Osteoarthritis, also known as degenerative joint disease, primary osteoarthritis, abrasive or senile joint disease, is the main cause of disability worldwide the reason. Many factors including family history, age, obesity, diabetes, synovitis, systemic inflammatory mediators, innate immunity, lower limb alignment (knee valgus or knee varus), joint dysplasia, trauma, metabolic syndrome and inflammation are all related Related to the formation of knee osteoarthritis.
3. Elderberry is good for paederus dermatitis: Paederusdermatitis is an acute irritant contact dermatitis caused by the release of paederus when the paederus is pressed on the skin. There is usually a sudden burning sensation and skin pain, accompanied by erythema, pustules, and vesicles. Pigmentation is a common sequelae that can last for a month, and extensive ulcers can also occur.
4. Elderberry is beneficial to cardiovascular disease: Cardiovasculardiseases is currently the biggest threat to human health, but fortunately, it has 9 potentially changeable risk factors, including blood lipids, smoking, diabetes , High blood pressure, abdominal obesity, psychological factors, fruit/vegetable intake, exercise and drinking.
In 2020, cardiovascular diseases will surpass infectious diseases and become the primary cause of the global disease burden, accounting for approximately 56% of the total morbidity and 73% of the total mortality. A double-blind controlled study (12 weeks, conducted on 52 postmenopausal women) showed that although taking elderberry extract is safe, its protective effect on the cardiovascular system is still limited. Related risk indicators such as inflammation index and vascular response , Blood lipids, etc. have not changed.
5. Elderberry is beneficial to osteoporosis (caused by diabetes): Osteoporosis is one of the most common bone metabolism diseases, which is mainly characterized by decreased bone density and enlarged bone holes, causing fractures, usually due to postmenopausal Estrogen deficiency and age-related bone loss are caused. Diabetes is also a common cause.
About 1/2~2/3 of diabetic patients have weakened bone strength, of which 1/3 are diagnostic criteria for osteoporosis.
Animal experiments have shown that (experimental subjects are experimental rats with diabetes induced by injection of streptozotocin/streptozotocin) elderberry extract can slow bone loss and improve osteoporosis, but due to lack of relevant human studies, further confirmation is needed.
6. The beneficial effects of elderberry on cholesterol: Cholesterol is a waxy steroid molecule, which plays an important role in maintaining cell membrane fluidity and heat insulation. In addition, cholesterol is also a precursor of hormones, which can produce sex hormones, mineral corticosteroids (maintain the balance of water and electrolytes), and glucocorticoids (control protein and carbohydrate metabolism, immunosuppression and inflammation). These substances are maintenance Essential substances for normal metabolism.
For any inquiry or further information, welcome contact:[email protected] Undersun Ltd. would always provide you an all-in-one solution.