What is Marshmallow Extract?
Marshmallow extract is a genus of perennial herbs native to Europe, North Africa and western Asia. It includes Althaea officinalis, also known as the marshmallow plant, whence the fluffy confection got its name. They are found on the banks of rivers and in salt marshes, preferring moist, sandy soils.
Organic Marshmallow Extract is the root or whole plant of Althaeae radix of the Malvaceae plant Althaeae radix [plant traits] perennial herb, often cultivated for 2 years, the plant height is about 2.5 ~ 3 m, the stem is erect. The whole plant has stellate tufts.
Marshmallow Extract is the root of the hollyhock Althaea rosea (L.) Cav., which is cultivated all over the country. The marshmallow plant can be found growing in damp, wet areas including meadows and marshes. While native to regions of Europe, the marshmallow plant now grows in the United States as well. The root and leaves of the plant are used medicinally. For many years marshmallow plants have been used to relieve coughs and sore throats, as well as for chapped skin and minor wounds. Both the root and the leaf of the marshmallow plant contain a substance known as mucilate, a mucusy substance that does not dissolve in water. It is this substance that causes marshmallow to swell up and become slippery when wet. This attribute of the marshmallow plant gives it the ability to soothe irritation of the mouth, throat and stomach, as well as to relieve coughing. Marshmallow is also believed to have a limited ability to fight infection and boost the immune system.
|Product Name||Marshmallow Extract||Latin Name||Althaea officinalis L|
|Part Used||Root||Appearance||Brown yellow Powder|
|Specification||4:1--20:1 Ratio extract|
|Storage||Store in a well-closed container away from moisture and direct sunlight|
|Shelf Life||24 months if sealed and stored properly.|
|Sterilization Method||High-temperature, non-irradiated.|
|Appearance||Brown yellow Powder||Conforms|
|Loss on Drying||≤5.0%||Conforms|
|Particle size||95% pass 80 mesh||Conforms|
|Heavy metals||NMT 10ppm||Conforms|
|GMO Status||GMO Free||Conforms|
|Total Plate Count||10,000cfu/g Max||Conforms|
|Yeast & Mold||1,000cfu/g Max||Conforms|
1. Recently, it has been used as an expectorant to treat a variety of upper respiratory problems.
2. It reduces inflammation and has a calming effect on the body.
3. Although it has primarily been used for the respiratory and digestive tracts, its high mucilage content may also provide some minor relief for urinary tract and skin infections.
4. Marshmallow's mucilage content helps soothe inflamed tissues, often caused by bronchitis. Marshmallow also relieves dryness and irritation in the chest and throat, usually brought on by colds and persistent coughs.
5. Marshmallow has been known to relieve indigestion, kidney problems, urinary tract infections, and even external skin wounds such as boils and abscesses.
1. Applied in food field, it is a kind of nourishing food which has much benefits to brain;
2.Applied in pharmaceutical field, it can be used to treat coronary heart disease and has better effect;
3.Applied in cosmetic field, it owns the function of whitening, dispelling spot, anti-wrinkle, and activating skin cells.